Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Diary of a Garden: Part 1, Breaking Ground




There is work


There is play


And as shovel cuts sod, I see what's to come


Better days and tomatoes,
pumpkins and a glass half-full


Of at least 300 zucchini, acorn squash and melon
with black seeds and flesh pink
all the way to the rind


Half-full or better,
better or brimming


Brimming or buckets spilling down to the floor
and running down streets and sticking to ceilings
like the mud firmly crusted on my knees


I dream of bounty --
a bumper crop of butter


or I'd drop this shovel
and cease to dig

1 comment:

Abigail said...

I, also, dream of that bounty for you.

I'm so glad you're planting seeds!

And I wish you didn't have to break your back doing it. Ug. If I lived closer, lawless sister, I'd break mine by your side.