Sunday, April 26, 2009

Diary of a Garden; Help from Charlotte



"The first time I ate a potato right from the ground I cried," Charlotte said as she helped me plant some runners.

We talked about compost and putting up a fence while barefoot children ran beneath the orange, setting sun.

"My mother-in-law's carrots are as big as my fist," she said clenching her dirty fingers and shaking it through the cool night.

"My mother-in-law's tomatoes are known to make grown men weep," I countered.

I mentioned seeking out rotten horse manure and she did a little dance.

"Mix it in real good," she said, bending over to turn an imaginary shovel, "Real good."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So..how is that strawberry pie coming along? If you come SOON you can eat asparagus right out of the ground in my garden...The asparagus is mixed in with dandelion and other weeds. So much to do and it is so enjoyable! You get strawberries and asparagus. Wow! What a God! He is really really neat!!Love to the "boys" both big and small.