Sunday, January 6, 2008

Noel


Last night, on the Eve of the Feast of the Epiphany (the day the three wise men came bearing gifts to the Child), Pete and I watched The Nativity Story.

I'd like to think God must have had this in mind for us as the depiction of the three kings is what was most meaningful to me.

They were not God's chosen people -- Jews like Mary and Joseph. But God used them. He worked through them to point man toward Himself.

They were wealthy, yet found themselves worshipping the Baby King beside poor sheppards. Without giving away too much of the film, Mary speaks the blessing, "He is a gift to us all."

I was struck again by how this whole world is God's and how he uses all kinds of people to carry out his plans. He used these wealthy, apparently pagan, astrologers to celebrate his arrival.

And today He still uses all of creation to declare his glory -- sometimes even movies made in Hollywood -- one I highly recommend.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

We'll have to check this one out. I've heard good things about it...but a Johnson recommendation seals the deal.

Let's try and find some time for each other this new year! We're missing you guys!